Sunday, June 13, 2010

Harvest Tuna or Chicken Salad

I like tuna and try to eat it often to include more fish and Omega 3 in my diet, but something seems to happen to my creativity when I open that can so I end up making the same boring tuna fish salad with mayo, mustard and pickle relish. Today I challenged myself to come up with a different twist on my ordinary tuna salad and the end result was bursting with flavor! The idea of adding dried fruit came from a harvest salad I was recently served at a local restaurant (Rudy's in Cape Elizabeth). It adds texture and a hint of sweetness that blends perfectly with the homemade cherry-balsamic dressing. If you want variety, keep in mind that this recipe would be excellent with cooked chicken, as well. With warmer weather coming, I'll be glad to have another cool, main dish salad in my recipe box and this one is definitely worth repeating!

Harvest Tuna or Chicken Salad
(Makes 2 servings)

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon cherry preserves or jam
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups romaine lettuce
2 tablespoons dried cherries, chopped
¼ cup dried apples, chopped
2 tablespoons almonds, chopped (or use slivered)
2/3 cup broccoli florets
½ cup cucumber or celery, quartered and sliced
5 ounces solid white tuna, drained & broken into small pieces (or ¾ cup chicken)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, cherry preserves, pepper and olive oil until well blended and emulsified.

2. To the bowl, add the remaining ingredients and toss until combined and well coated with the dressing. Equally divide among two serving plates and serve immediately.

Nutritional Information per serving: 382.5 calories, 33.4 g carbohydrate, 19 g total fat, 2.4 g saturated fat, 272.5 mg sodium, 5.4 g fiber, 19.2 g protein.

Original recipe by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment