Friday, March 25, 2011

Semi-Homemade Super Soup

I must admit that I eat a lot of canned soup. It's such an easy and quick lunch and, when I'm busy, opening a can is about as much time as I'm willing to take to prepare a meal. I want to share with you my tip for making ordinary canned soup much more nutritious and exciting to eat.

First, you will probably notice and agree with me when I say that soup companies can be pretty skimpy with their ingredients. Even though I usually choose a vegetable-based soup, such as minestrone, I'm always disappointed in the small quantity of vegetables included, usually far less than 1 cup per serving. Also, there are some brands in which potato is the main "vegetable." That just doesn't cut it with me!

My solution is to always have a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and another of chopped spinach on hand. Look around, there are many excellent mixtures available in your grocer's freezer. Chopped fresh cherry or grape tomatoes are another great vegetable add-in. Sprinkle in different herbs to enhance the flavor. Finally, keep canned beans in the pantry. Drain and rinse about a half-cup, toss them in the pot and you'll quickly and easily super-size your soup (but in a good way). If it's too thick, add a splash of broth until it reaches the desired consistency. The addition of extra vegetables and beans will provide more vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and fiber to what would have been a dull, lifeless can of soup! Not only that, but your portion size will be much larger and more satisfying. Give it a try -- it works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment