Sunday, February 1, 2015

Lemon-Blueberry Dream Green Smoothie



This green smoothie is a delicious combination of lemon and blueberries. I can't even taste the greens, but knowing they are there makes me feel good!  This is alkalizing from the lemon and packed with healthy antioxidants and phytonutrients from the greens and blueberries and is one of my favorite breakfast smoothies.  I'm eating a very low carb, high fat diet, which is very successfully controlling my diabetes.  If I put too much fruit in my smoothie, it can upset my blood sugars and ruin my whole day!  This recipe easily fits into my daily allotment.  The addition of both healthy coconut and flax seed oil suppresses my hunger and prevents cravings by keeping my blood sugar steady throughout the morning.  (If desired, you can use half the amount of these oils, but both are healthy sources.  Healthy sources of fat play many important roles in the body and should not be feared or avoided.  Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids and is fuel for the brain.  Flax seed oil is an excellent source of Omega 3's.)  If you're looking for a refreshing and energizing way to start your morning, look no further.  This smoothie will satisfy!

Lemon-Blueberry Dream Green Smoothie
Makes 1 serving

3/4 cup unsweetened flax or almond milk (or your favorite milk)*
1/4 cup full-fat plain coconut yogurt (or your favorite plain yogurt or kefir)*
2 tablespoons frozen wild blueberries
1-1/2 cups baby kale, spinach or swiss chard (I use an organic blend)
2 slices of lemon with peel, each slice 1/4" wide (organic is preferred)
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon flax seed oil
1 tablespoon coconut oil
10-15 drops of Lemon Drop flavored liquid stevia (I use Sweetleaf brand)
1/2 cup water
4-5 ice cubes

Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.  Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!

Nutritional Information per serving: 412 calories, 10 g carbohydrate (4 g dietary fiber, 3.1 g sugars), 40 g total fat (19.3 g healthy source of saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 356 mg calcium, 26 mg potassium, 4.2 g protein.  Net carbs per serving: 6 grams

* For those with food allergies: To make a dairy free smoothie, use a non-dairy milk, yogurt or kefir.

Recipe by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment