Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Basic Crepes

Crepes are thin, egg pancakes that can be filled with sweet or savory ingredients that are perfect for a diabetic because they are only 7 carbs each. Although the thought of making crepes may appear daunting, the batter is easily made in a blender and cooking the crepes is very simple and quick. Also, the crepes can be made ahead of time, even a day or two ahead, because they will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To demonstrate how easy it is to make a crepe, I've created a short video of the cooking process. As you'll see, it takes about 2 minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzXjJ2HVeM


video
Basic Crepes
(Makes about fourteen 6" to 7" crepes)
In a blender, blend together the following ingredients to create a thin batter:

1½ cups skim milk (soy, almond or Hood Calorie Countdown can be substituted)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons no trans fat buttery spread, melted (I used Smart Balance)

1. Pour batter into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow bubbles to dissipate. Heat an 8" non-stick skillet, such as an omelet pan, on medium heat. Brush skillet with melted butter and ladle a scant ¼ cup of batter into the skillet. Swirl the pan around and around to distribute the batter evenly and to form a circle. Continue swirling the pan until the batter thickens and settles. Replace pan on the burner and cook for about 1 to 1½ minutes, until the edges of the crepe are dry, beginning to brown slightly and curling inward. Using a rubber spatula, lift edge and carefully turn crepe over by hand. Cook second side for about 30-45 seconds. Remove crepe from pan and place on a piece of parchment paper to cool.

To store crepes, make certain that crepes are separated with a piece of parchment paper between each crepe. Arrange crepes in a stack and place in a resealable plastic bag. Crepes can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use. Use crepes within 3-4 days.

Uses for crepes: These basic crepes can be used in sweet or savory recipes. Fill them with fresh fruit, berries, or sugar-free pudding for a light dessert. Fill them with your favorite vegetables, mushrooms, cooked turkey or chicken and cheese, heat in a 350-degree oven until cheese is melted for a delicious lunch or easy dinner.
I have posted a variety of recipes that demonstrate just how versatile these thin pancakes can be any time of day! Click on "crepes" under list of ingredients to see all the delicious and healthy fillings I suggest.

Nutritional Information per crepe: 63 calories, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 0.2 g fiber, 3.1 g protein

Recipe and video by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2010

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Just stumbled upon your blog because of the crepe posting. Where did you get the nutrition facts on crepes? I know they're better for you because they have less flour but I love them SO much I don't think about the nutritional benefits. Would you consider sharing your healthier recipe on my site? I'll happily credit you and link back to your blog. Thanks for sharing! Look forward to more crepe recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ashley:

    Yes, you have my permission to use my recipe on your site, but please link back to my blog and give me credit for the recipe - Thanks!

    I have a computer program that I use to calculate the nutritional information in my recipes. The Calorie King food search available at the bottom of my blog (under the recipes) can serve the same purpose. Just look up each ingredient and add their nutritional information together to obtain the grand total.

    Thanks again for your comment - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. Sheehan: I have noticed that you have lived with 2 types of Diabetes and I first, commend you on your web site and your cooking efforts to assist others afflicted with this debilitating disease. My confusion is that my wife is diabetic and basically she is on a diet with NO flour products due to the gluten found in all general processed flours. She has no starch products in her diet as well for no doubt you are full aware that any starch immediately is broken down into sugars. I always used to cook crepes and had thought of making her a crepe with fresh asparagus spears rolled in a crepe with melted 0 sugar old fort (like an extra sharp cheese in the U.S. and is the only cheese that her doctor will allow in her diet) mozzarella cheese. I do all of the cooking in our house and pay close attention to what I prepare for her versus what I prepare for our children. (Yes, there are men like me that do most of the cooking in a relationship :) )
    Can you suggest a means by which I could possibly make this dish for her or some other means of substitute for the flour as the binding agent?

    Thank you for your time and efforts.
    Sincerely;
    Michael M. Addison
    maddison@personainternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your email and I commend you for providing such wonderful support to your wife. It sounds like your wife may also have Celiacs Disease, since her doctor is recommending no wheat products that would contain gluten. It's quite common for diabetics to also have this problem (or a sensitivity to gluten), along with diabetes. Check in your natural food section or gluten free section of your grocery store. Very likely you will find a flour substitute made from other "flour" without gluten, such as potato flour, almond flour, coconut flour, bean flours, etc. I recommend Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour. It will be a good substitute for the wheat flour in the crepes recipe. Also use it in any of my other recipes where flour is listed.

    You'll probably notice that I use almond flour a lot in my cakes, cookies and breads. It is gluten free. Although my recipes are low-gluten because I use the almond flour to cut the wheat flour by half, they are not 100% gluten free because I use almond flour in combination with wheat flour. I do that to reduce the carbs. It is not the goal on my blog to be completely gluten free. But, if you see a recipe that uses almond flour and wheat flour, just substitute the Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour for the wheat flour and you should be fine.

    Here is a link to all of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free products: http://www.bobsredmill.com/Gluten-Free/

    Thank you again for visiting Diabetics Rejoice and I wish you & your wife the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you use egg beaters instead of whole eggs how does it change the nutrition information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the nutritional info would change a bit, especially the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol would be much lower. I believe the egg beaters are free of saturated fat, so that amount would be reduced to 0. I've never made crepes using egg beaters, so I can't comment on the final product when using them, but I imagine it would be fine.

      Delete