Saturday, September 11, 2010

Peanut Butter Caramel Dip with Apples

It's football season again...and a danger for mindless snacking while my attention is focused on the game is a very real threat to my commitment to healthy eating. I'm surrounded by an array of pretzels, chips, pizza and beer. I must be vigilant, or my hand will stray to a bad place and make its way to my mouth! The key to success is to plan ahead and have nutritious snacks within my reach, preferably some with protein, which will be more filling and keep my BG from spiking and crashing later. If you need some good ideas, check out the appetizers in my blog archive, along with the recipe below.

I want to tell you about a product I use often for flavoring my morning smoothies that has many other uses, as well. I'm talking about the wonderful selection of sugar-free flavored syrups available. I use DaVinci Sugar Free Syrups, which are available online and in some stores. They are great for flavoring plain yogurt, to spice up a mug of coffee or to use in the many recipes posted on the company's website. I recently purchased the Dulce de Leche flavor and used it to add the taste of creamy caramel to peanut butter, which is excellent as a dip for sliced apples. It satisfies my craving for caramel apples that I strangely only get this time of year. So, enjoy the game AND take care of your health at the same time!

Peanut Butter Caramel Dip with Apples
(Makes 2 servings)

2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon sugar-free caramel flavored syrup
1 large apple, cored and sliced

1. Measure the peanut butter and caramel syrup in a small microwavable bowl or custard cup. Microwave for about 12 seconds on high and stir until combined. Use as a dip for the sliced apples.

Nutritional Information per serving: 148 calories, 18.4 g carbohydrate, 8.2 g total fat, 1.8 g saturated fat, 81 mg sodium, 3.7 g fiber, 3.8 g protein.

Original recipe by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment