There are many variations of similar recipes online, but this salad is so much fun to make and eat, I had to share my own experience. I’ve seen other intriguing posts describing how to make taco shells with cheese, so I had to try it for myself. I prefer a taco salad in a bowl because it’s less messy to eat. This is an easy, foolproof, stovetop method that takes less than 10 minutes start to finish! Fill it with whatever taco salad fixings you like and, I think you’ll discover as I did, that the delicious, crispy grilled cheese bowl adds a lot of flavor to this festive salad!
Grilled Cheese Bowl
Makes 1 edible bowl
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or a blend (I used a Mexican blend)
1. Evenly spread 1/2 cup of shredded cheese into an 8-inch non-stick skillet.
2. Heat over medium heat until the cheese is bubbly and turns a dark golden brown. (Do not stir or disturb the cheese during the cooking process.) Watch carefully so the cheese doesn’t burn, but you’re looking for a dark golden color that indicates it’s well done and will be crispy when cooled.
3. Meanwhile, place an inverted 8 ounce bowl onto a plate.
4. Remove skillet from the heat and allow the bubbling cheese to cool slightly, but not harden. Drape the still warm and flexible cheese disk over the inverted bowl and gently press down the sides to create a bowl shape.
5. Allow to cool for a few minutes until the cheese hardens. Remove the cheese bowl from your mold, fill and enjoy!
Low Carb Taco Salad in a Grilled Cheese Bowl
Makes 1 serving
1 Grilled Cheese Bowl (see above)
1 cup of chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
3 ounces of cooked ground beef seasoned with 3/4 teaspoon of taco seasoning
1/4 avocado, cut into cubes
4 grape tomatoes, chopped
1-2 teaspoons of chopped red onion
1-2 teaspoons of chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1 teaspoon shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoonfuls of sour cream
Place all of the salad ingredients into the Grilled Cheese Bowl and enjoy!
Nutritional Information per salad in cheese bowl: 534 calories, 12.9 g carbohydrate (4.7 g dietary fiber, 3.8 g sugars), 41.2 g total fat (20.8 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 588 mg sodium, 473.4 mg calcium, 661 mg potassium, 2 mg iron, 3345 mg Vit A, 20 mg Vit C, 30.3 g protein. Net carbs per serving: 8.2 grams
Recipe and photos by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2018
All rights reserved. Please do not duplicate without the author’s permission.