Here’s another quick and easy cupcake recipe that you “bake” in the microwave for 40 seconds! This recipe is a favorite of my chocolate-loving husband. He freely admits that these cupcakes are as rich, decadent and fudgy as a traditional cupcake. He doesn’t miss the sugar at all and neither will you! This recipe yields three cupcakes, so it’s perfect when you want to satisfy a chocolate craving, but don’t want too many extras hanging around to tempt you.
40 Second Keto Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 3 cupcakes
2 tablespoons almond or pecan flour
2 teaspoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional, but enhances chocolate flavor)
1-1/2 tablespoons granulated erythritol sweetener
A pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 large egg
5 drops dark chocolate stevia or monkfruit extract, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened almond or coconut milk (or strong brewed coffee for a mocha flavor)
Dark Chocolate Frosting:
1 oz. unsweetened baker’s chocolate, chopped
3/4 teaspoon refined coconut oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
2 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
4 oz. mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup powdered erythritol sweetener
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream (or as needed to reach the desired consistency)
1. In a small bowl, combine the almond or pecan flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee powder, granulated sweetener, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
2. Add the melted butter, egg, stevia or monkfruit drops, vanilla extract and milk or coffee; whisk until well combined.
3. Evenly divide the batter between three silicone muffin cups and microwave on high for 40 seconds or until the cakes have risen, look dry and spring back when touched near the center. (The time needed for cooking may vary, depending on the wattage of your microwave.) Alternatively, you can bake them in a 325 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15-18 minutes. Move to a wire rack and cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, in a medium, microwave-safe bowl, combine the chopped baker’s chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave on high in 15 second intervals to melt the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute or two and then stir until smooth. (If you would prefer, you can melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a heat proof bowl over barely simmering water.) Set melted chocolate aside to cool to lukewarm.
5. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the butter, cream cheese and mascarpone cheese together until smooth. Beat in the powdered sweetener and cocoa powder, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time, until a spreadable consistency is achieved. (Note: This icing recipe makes enough to frost 6 cupcakes, so more than you will need. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.)
Nutritional Information per one cupcake with 3 Tbsp frosting: 234 calories, 6.5 g carbohydrate (2.2 g dietary fiber, 0.7 g sugars, 2.1 g sugar alcohols), 21.5 g total fat (12.1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 93.8 mg calcium, 95 mg potassium, 1 mg iron, 106 ug Vit A, 5.9 g protein. Net carbs per serving: 4.3 grams
Photos and recipe by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2020
All rights reserved. Please do not duplicate without the author’s permission.