Frico is a traditional dish from north eastern Italy usually made with potatoes. I modified the recipe to make it keto by replacing the potatoes with radishes. This quick meal for any time of day is basically a crispy, double-crusted cheese pie filled with vegetables and made in a skillet. It is rustic comfort food that is filling and SO DELICIOUS!
Keto Radish and Egg Frico
Makes 2 servings
1/2 tablespoon avocado oil or bacon grease
3/4 cup sliced radishes
1/2 small onion, sliced
4 ounces shredded cheese, about 1-1/2 cup (Cheddar, Asiago and Gruyere are good choices)
2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the oil in an 8-inch, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and radishes and cover, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are browned and tender.
2. Remove lid and reduce heat to low. Remove the cooked vegetables to a plate and, into the hot skillet, sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
3. Return the sautéed vegetable to the skillet, carefully arranging the vegetables on top of the shredded cheese.
4. Crack two eggs on top of the vegetables. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Add the chopped bacon on top of the eggs.
5. Finally, sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top. Continue cooking until the bottom layer of cheese is firm and crispy.
6. Very carefully, flip the frico with a spatula. Cook on the second side until the cheese is firm and crispy. Remove to a serving plate, cut in half or quarters and enjoy!
Nutritional Information per serving (1/2 recipe): 357 calories, 5.1 g carbohydrate (1.1 g dietary fiber, 2.3 g sugars), 26.4 g total fat (14.8 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 255 mg cholesterol, 655 mg sodium, 446.7 mg calcium, 262 mg potassium, 1 mg iron, 263 IU Vit A, 8 mg Vit C, 24 g protein. Net carbs per serving: 4 grams
Photos and recipe by Kathy Sheehan, copyright 2021
All rights reserved. Please do not duplicate without the author’s permission.